A teenager who won the Battle against cancer



When cancer continues to hit your circle you freeze up, shed a few tears, and then you decide to fight back. I loss my dad to cancer last year, after a 25 year battle. My favorite cousin who was like a dad to me died two years ago after a 1 month battle. My aunt Betty Jean loss her battle 10 years ago. My aunt Mae Bell passed away eight years ago, after a 4 year battle. My step father fifteen years ago, after a 4 year battle and my paternal grandmother over sixteen years ago. The disease is no friend of mine, it took away several close family members and others I didn't name. 

"It's time to terminate cancer," I said aloud with plenty of attitude, after a close friend shared her diagnosis with me. I sat and thought for a long time... Who can help? This young lady needs a mentor, a role model, a woman of power, a cancer survivor. And then it hit me, a strong, beautiful, courageous woman popped in my mind. Why not ask the president of Dinner with Divas in Louisiana to share her story? My sassy, outgoing, witty, gorgeous, brave friend had also battled cancer and won over 17 years ago. 

 "May I interview you?" I asked euphorically. She replied yes with no reservations. This beautiful soul was elated to share her story, a true advocate, and educator willing to help anyone in need.  

 When were you diagnosed with cancer?  I can remember it like it was yesterday, the day I left the clinic and was admitted into the hospital due to a large malignant mass found on my right kidney. The tumor was the size of a football and it was growing into my back. It seemed as if life was just beginning, I was 15 years old and a freshman in high school.

What were you thinking at the time?  I was very scared, confused, and mad at the world. I didn't talk and when I did I was mean. I stayed locked up in in my room, isolated from everyone . I was 15 years old and bald, I didn't feel normal like the other kids. It just wasn't fair. How could I be diagnosed with cancer? I was just a teenager and I wanted to know why me? God, why me?  

What type of treatment did you receive?  I had surgery at Our Lady of the Lake in Baton Rouge, and my right kidney removed. Later I was transferred to St. Jude Children's Research hospital to undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatments. During that time I met lots of people that ranged from babies to teenagers all going through some sort of medical treatment, but what stood out the most after walking through those doors almost everyone had a smile on their faces.

What were your thoughts after treatment?  I won't lie. The treatment was tough. I always said I wouldn't wish that pain and sickness on my worst enemy. It was torture. My hair was gone and I was left with a long scar on my stomach and OMG it took me so long to embrace it!!! I thought about relapse. Would I be able to lead a normal life as I teenager in high school or would the disease come back and finish me off? Those thoughts haunted me because every time I went back to St. Jude for follow up visits I'd see my old friends back at the hospital or deceased. 

But you did it! You lived, you survived. It was worth it. God wasn't ready for you, it had to be their time. God had great plans for you.  Yes, He did. I understand that now. I fought for my life and I won.


What was your worst memory? Losing my hair and kids in the neighborhood staring at me all the time. One day a neighborhood boy snatched my hat off my bald head in front of all the kids and I was so humiliated. But I also remember my cousin beating the hell of that little boy for being so cruel. However, children are curious and I guess he just wanted to know what I looked like under the little blue jean hat I never took off.

What was your prognosis?  Doctors said I was in full remission, but I would never be able to have kids. I would also have to be tested every 10 years for long term effects.

Your advice to others?  I overcame my battle as a kid with cancer.  I learned so much at such a young age about life. You can't take it for granted, nothing, not life, not those you love, not places you want to see or things you want to do. As a survivor there is sometimes the thought of relapse or the possibility of long term affects from the therapy that you want to fear. I would often tell myself I don't want to live in fear of relapse or the what ifs. Today, I have incorporated affirmations into my life, I speak and think the things I desire. I am healthy, I have a healthy functioning kidney, I am happy, I have an abundance of what I need, love surrounds me, I am protected, everything always works out for my highest good. I enjoy finding natural ways to alleviate illness and try to incorporate healthy food into my diet on the regular. I believe that life can change so quickly so love the life you live and live the life you love, create your own happiness and enjoy it. God has a purpose for everything he allows, I am strong, I am a survivor, and every day I’m grateful for this life. 

How are you today?  I am great! I'm married. I'm also a mother of four healthy children, which I gave birth to with no complications. I work in the healthcare insurance industry, the president of the Louisiana chapter of Dinner with Divas in Baton Rouge, and a public speaker as well. I tell my story to cancer patients and survivors across the world.     

It was a joy interviewing the cheerful Ciarra Bell. We've been friends over 10 years and she has never shared this story with me. I have always admired her for her drive, compassionate nature, kind spirit, humor, fashion, and style, but today I honor her for being so resilient.  





 


 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Karsheika Graves Memorial Scholarship

40 Friday-What you don't know about the forty year old woman.

Stand up and be Free before You're Forty