Does the woman with curves have double standards?


I am a black woman who's proud of my roots. I love my curves, my big legs, and my huge bottom that I inherited from my paternal grandmother, Thelma Robinson. However, it appears I can't wear what smaller women wear, because of my curves I'm restricted. When I put something on that hugs my body I get stares from men and women often roll their eyes. I find it interesting that this has always been a problem for full-figured women. Did you know that Mahalia Jackson was forced to put on a choir robe to sing in the church? The congregation whispered and gossiped about the way her body gyrated as she sang praises to the Lord. What a shame, a full-figured women of God had to be draped to hide her voluptuous shape.

I remember many years ago, when I was a Freshmen in college, I had on a nice fitted sun dress and my maternal grandmother stated, "you look like a hooker." I quickly replied, all the white girls at school dress like this. "You're not white," she stated. "They can wear that." Hmm, double standards I thought to myself. If my butt was flat my outfit would be just fine? I asked grandma exactly that and she didn't have a response. Grandma was following society's norms and standards; judging me for having curves.

Well, twenty years later, my maternal grandmother's criticism of my style of clothing didn't discourage me one bit. I continue to wear fitted, sexy clothing, and whatever else I desire to put on my body. My curves are my heritage and I embrace them with dignity. I am proud to carry the curves of my paternal grandmother and I can't hide it. I am who I am, my "Thelma Robinson" butt and all. People pay for the jiggles I have and I am comfortable with me. They can continue to stare and talk, and I could care less. My shape is what makes me a unique black woman. Always love the skin you're in, be grateful for you.

~Karlyn LeBlanc, LMSW
www.LoveLeMenu.com

Mahalia Jackson became one of the most influential gospel singers in the world and was heralded internationally as a singer and civil rights activist. She was described by entertainer Harry Belafonte as "the single most powerful black woman in the United States".




Comments

  1. A “real woman” is defined by what she believes in and stands by it, realizes what she deserves, and doesn’t settle for less. She is honest, loyal, and faithful. She is understanding and patient; she is kind, giving, strong, and respectable. “Real women” should be judged by their character, not by her size. A woman's body is like a walking- talking art machine...express urself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read! I use to wish i could reduce my butt and get my hips smaller. I could not wear the clothes that i like. My jeans always had a huge gap in the waste. My husband taught me to embrace my body. He told me he was proud if another man looked at me. It took me a while to understand what he meant. Most of my sexy outfits, dresses and shoes, he brings home. Ive learned to embrace my curves because they are what my momma gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you for this. I never knew this about Mahalia Jackson. I must admit I still have some insecurities about my curves and I'm still learning to embrace them daily. I can recall all through middle school and high school I wanted to be like my friends who where all of a size 0-5. I thought their shape was the norm I always felt like the odd ball out. It took time and a lot of self love as I grew older that helped me to embrace my thighs, hips and bottom.. At the end of the day I realized these curves are part of what makes me unique ❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Karsheika Graves Memorial Scholarship

40 Friday-What you don't know about the forty year old woman.

Stand up and be Free before You're Forty